After cosmetic reconstruction
It is important to follow the instructions below to ensure comfort and to have good healing after major dental work. Note that some discomfort and swelling are normal after any dental intervention.
Day of procedure
- You may apply ice to your cheek at regular intervals (20 minutes of ice every hour).
- If some tissue bleeding does occur, do not worry. This is normal if some of the soft tissues have been treated.
- Post operative bleeding and pink coloured saliva are normal.
- Don’t eat anything before any bleeding stops.
- Don’t drink through a straw.
- Don’t rinse your mouth or spit.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol.
- Don’t eat hard foods.
- Don’t engage in intense exercise. Rest.
- If the pain causes you discomfort, take the medication you were prescribed.
- Eat only soft foods or lukewarm liquids.
The days following procedures until full healing
- Rinse your mouth three times a day with a warm salt water solution (2 ml or ½ tsp of salt in 250 ml or 1 cup of water).
- Brush your teeth and floss daily to remove plaque and ensure the best long-term results. Don’t brush near the sensitive area for the first 72 hours.
- Avoid hard foods (nuts, candy, and ice). Remember if there are provisional or temporary crowns they are more fragile than natural teeth. Avoid crusty breads, toast, etc.
- Be aware that smoking, coffee, red wine and tea can stain your teeth.
- If you play sports, ask us to make you a custom mouth guard.
- You may have trouble speaking and produce extra saliva. This should subside in a week.
- There may be some bruising on the skin. This will disappear in five to seven days.
- You may have trouble opening your mouth. This should diminish in four to five days.
- If any pain increases after three days, call our office.
It takes the mouth and jaws some time to recognize the new position of your teeth or their new thickness. It may take a few days or even a few weeks before you can fully close your mouth comfortably. Your speech may be affected for a day or two, be patient. If problems persist after several days, call us at 514 849-3014.